What is the Drainage District’s mailing address?

722 23 Road, Grand Junction, Co. 81505

How do I contact the Drainage District direct?

Stop by our office during business hours: 7am to 3:30pm Monday through Friday, or give us a call at: 970-242-4343.

Where is the Drainage District office located?

We’re located at 722 23 Road in Grand Junction. From the intersection of Highway 6 & 50 and 23 Road, travel north approximately 1/8 mile to 23 Rd. and G Rd. intersection. Continue north 1/4 mile. Our offices are on east side of 23 Rd.

When does the Board of Directors meet?

Quarterly Statutory or at 10am on or before the 10th of each month and on or before the 25th of each month. Meetings are held at the office of the District which is located at 722 23 Road. Watch our calendar for notices for each Board Meeting.

I have a request to submit to the Board of Directors. What is the best way to do that?

To help the Manager understand your request, you need to submit it as a letter explaining your position and what you are asking the District to do for you. If it is a situation that requires approval from the Board of Directors, the letter needs to be delivered at least two days before the scheduled meeting. You can mail your letter to Grand Valley Drainage District 722 23 Road, Grand Junction, Co. 81505 or drop it off at our office during business hours (Monday – Friday, 7:30am – 3:30pm): 722 23 Road., Grand Junction.

I live in the Orchard Mesa area. Is there anyone to help me with drainage issues?

Contact Orchard Mesa Irrigation District at 464-7885 and ask about their rules and regulations. You can also contact Mesa County Public Works at 244-1815 or the City of Grand Junction Public Works at 242-4636.

I live in the Redlands area. Is there anyone to help me with drainage issues?

Contact Mesa County Public Works at 244-1815 or the City of Grand Junction Public Works at 242-4636

There is a ditch in front of my house. Do I have to take care of it?

If the ditch is 2-3 feet wide and 2-3 feet deep, it is most often part of a private irrigation system that either delivers water to your property or carries water away when you are through using it. If the ditch is 6 feet deep or more, and at least 30 feet wide and located North of the Colorado River, it is most probably a sub-surface drainage ditch that the District operates and maintains. For more information go to Maps (link to documents/maps) or check the related map link for specific drains in your area.

I was on the drainage ditch road and my neighbor told me I couldn’t be there. Why not?

Grand Valley Drainage District ditch roadways are located on private property. You need to obtain permission from the property owner to ride, walk, or drive across his or her property. Grand Valley Drainage District cannot give you permission to travel on ditch roads. The District has easements with property owners that are to be used only to operate and maintain the drains.

I have a big ditch on my property and everyone is using it. What can I do to stop them?

The District will work with the property owner to protect his property and will allow gates to be placed across the maintenance roadways of the drains. The District must still have access to the maintenance roadways and the drains. When installed, gates must be wide enough to open to the width of the maintenance roadway (usually 20 feet). After the property owner installs the gate, the District will supply and put a lock on the gate. Property owners can also put their own separate lock on the gate. This will allow the owner full access to their property at all times and the District can have access to maintain the drain as needed. For more information, please contact us at 970-242-4343.

I am planning to landscape my yard. Will the District locate any pipelines that may be on my property?

YES. The District recommends that you first contact the Utility Notification Center for Colorado at ‘811’ or 1-800-922-1987. The District will mark the facilities that they operate and maintain on your property with green paint.

I see an iron manhole lid and it has the word “SEWER” on it. What is it?

Most manhole lids manufactured locally have the word “SEWER” on them, regardless of the utility it’s being used for. These lids are used by many different maintenance people for all types of underground facilities.

I see an iron manhole lid with a fish on it. What does this mean?

Under the Clean Water Act, pipes that carry unfiltered water back to rivers and streams are to be identified. The “Fish Lid” tells everyone that the waters in this system return to the Colorado River. The pipeline is a storm and drainage system. It reminds everyone not to dump pollutants in this system because the water returns directly to the Colorado River.

I have a “Natural Wash” going through my property. Who maintains it?

Natural washes are under the jurisdiction of the Army Corp of Engineers and the maintenance of the wash is the responsibility of the property owner. Contact ACoE:

Regulatory Project Manager, Regulatory Division
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Sacramento District, Colorado West Regulatory Branch
400 Rood Avenue, Room 134
Grand Junction, Colorado 81501-2563
(970) 243-1199 x 12, mobile (970) 216-5186, fax (970) 241-2358

For more information about the Regulatory Program go to: www.spk.usace.army.mil

Does Grand Valley Drainage District require permission to use its drains?

Yes, to discharge irrigation tail water or irrigation spill please contact our offices so we can accommodate your needs. If you would like to divert drain wastewater see Diversion Application under the Documents tab. The District does not issue Discharge Licenses, but will inform parties if a specific drain has available capacity.